Tales of Noobery

General discussion about WoW and public inquiries can be posted here.

Tales of Noobery

Postby Moonfaxx » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:43 pm

We were all noobs. Story time. Feel free to add your own story.

Many of you have heard some of my other noobish beginnings. Let me share with you a tale of warrior Moonfax (one "x"), my first character. I'll keep this one short.

Shortly after I started playing in BC, I heard about the Lunar Festival. I had stumbled upon some of the Elders scattered throughout the land, and I knew there was a celebration of sorts in Moonglade (which I'd probably never been to -- based on screenshots, I was only level 35ish). My expectation was that there would be hundreds or even thousands of players partying and celebrating with fireworks over the lake and all kinds of fun events happening, everyone in costume. I'd seen some higher level players, and I figured this would be my chance to connect with them. So I farmed up all the coins I could in order to buy my festive suit and other holiday paraphernalia. When I finally showed up ready for the fun, I recall seeing maybe 2-3 other players there just standing around at the holiday vendor. Man was I disappointed. Noobfax.

Marxman wrote:
Moonfaxx wrote:Mage -- The True Hero Class™

Moonfaxx is the greatest, and he invented mage chat.
Moonfaxx
Officer

Re: Tales of Noobery

Postby Autumnlily » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:32 pm

Autumnlily is actually my first character, and while I was leveling back in BC I stumbled across one of the entrances to one of the battlegrounds. I saw a couple players that massively out-leveled me standing outside the entrance, and I figured there was no way I'd be able to even fight against characters that high level in a battleground, so I never went in. Nooblily.
Autumnlily
Retired

Postby Oafijev » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:03 pm

I completed uldaman in vanilla. Noob. At least I wasn't stupid enough to complete brd.
Oafijev
Officer

Postby Qtpuety » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:07 pm

During my first leveling process back in vanilla I had convinced a friend to play with me and I would provide him with all sorts of gear to get started! Thinking the gear worked like Diablo and I could just drop/trade him loot.
We sat there for 30-40 minutes wondering why I couldn't trade him gear that I had already used (soulbound). Noobpue.
Qtpuety

Postby Dorfster » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:01 pm

Oafijev wrote:I completed uldaman in vanilla. Noob. At least I wasn't stupid enough to complete brd.

My first character on release was actually a paladin, and I was at the top of the leveling wave, so I actually attempted BRD at the level where you get access to it (48? 52?). Anyway, it was way too fucking low level to handle that thing, particularly because the Emperor at the end was like level 60. So you'd fight your way though a murderous instance that slowly featured higher and higher levels mobs until you hit the last boss (after the torch room, dear god the torch room) that you could barely hit.

If I recall correctly, our first run was me (paladin), Phierkas (paladin), Phoa (warrior), Machine (rogue) and...I forget the last. I think it was Inai on his priest, but I'm not 100% sure about that. Phier was actually tanking on his pally, and paladins could not tank at release. It was a nightmare.

I actually retired that paladin within about a week or so of hitting 60. I did a UBRS "raid" with 40 people, started buffing the shitty little 5 minute blessings, noticed that by the time I had finished buffing the 40th person, the 1st person's buff was about to fall off...yeah, fuck that. I immediately rerolled Dorf and he was my main from then on.

I still don't know how Sparty made it through raids while having to use those 5-minute buffs. And also dealing with the cleanse-fest that was MC. God, what a nightmare.
Dorfster
Retired

Postby Ariyana » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:24 pm

I made it to level 15 on my first warrior before I realized there was more you could do than autoattack to fight NPC's...dear god that leveling was slow until then.
Ariyana
Retired

Postby Oafijev » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:53 pm

Dorfster wrote:I still don't know how Sparty made it through raids while having to use those 5-minute buffs. And also dealing with the cleanse-fest that was MC. God, what a nightmare.

Whispercast (whisper for a buff) and Decursive (one button non-targeted dispel).
Oafijev
Officer

Postby Dimmster » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:58 pm

I was halfway into normal SoO before I realized that soulstone could be used as a battle rez.
Dimmster

Postby Sparty » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:19 pm

I didnt allow any paladins to use buff mods back then. Buff like a man.
Sparty
Guild Master

Postby Dextar » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:00 am

When I was playing open beta I rolled a paladin and thought it was the greatest thing that I could do damage and heal at the same time! Uber! So launch of WoW (I bought two Collectors Editions but sold them, long story) I decided to roll a paladin since I enjoyed it so much. I got to level 16 and found a vendor in Loch Modan selling this super uber mace for ONE gold! Oh man it was so much so I grinded out so many mobs and I bought it from him. I had it, a white vendor mace. I didn't even know there were green, blue, or purple items in the game. I was just so happy I saved and got the mace I wanted so badly.
"It ain’t about how hard you hit; it’s about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. . It’s How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done."
Dextar
Retired

Postby Eloriya » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:59 am

Vanilla wow, Norgannon was a brand new server. There weren't even any max levels on it yet.

My first character was a rogue. WoW was my first mmo and I pretty much knew nothing about how anything worked. There was a guy in Kharanos trying desperately to sell a green dagger for 6 gold. He whispered me finally and told me it would be a great weapon for me at level 6. I told him I only had 2 gold. He said that was fine, and took it. Many levels later in the hinterlands I was killing the crap out of this troll mob, and a guy ran up to me. He whispered me after looking at me for a bit and asked me just how long I'd been using that green dagger... I had no idea there was an auction house, or that you needed to upgrade gear as you leveled. He gave me 10 gold and told me where to find the ah. I upgraded.
Eloriya
Officer

Postby Onydruid » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:08 am

In Cata, when I started raiding as a frost DK, I used to think that parry and dodge would help me take less dmg from mechanics, effectively helping healers and surviving longer.
Onydruid
Retired

Postby Odiiranor » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:04 am

When I first started out on my human rogue, I saved up as much money as I could to buy the cats from that cat vendor that's just outside of northshire. At the time I thought they were like hunter pets.
Odiiranor
Friends and Family

Postby Thorgalls » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:42 pm

My first toon ever was a druid and I had no clue what were these "stats" so I geared him based on how it looked and if I liked it or not.

And I'm surprised Rando didn't post yet.
Thorgalls
Retired

Postby Moonfaxx » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:22 am

Thorgalls wrote:I had no clue what were these "stats" so I geared him based on how it looked and if I liked it or not.

Clarendon still does that.
Marxman wrote:
Moonfaxx wrote:Mage -- The True Hero Class™

Moonfaxx is the greatest, and he invented mage chat.
Moonfaxx
Officer

Next

Return to General