Rootleaf

Some of our very best, and most memorable members

Rootleaf

Postby Sparty » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:03 pm

I have no application for Rootleaf because he’s considered one of our original members. Back in 2004/2005 when we started farming UBRS, we saw this dwarf rogue, cool name, lets see if he wants to join the guild. ‘Sure why not’ he said and he became one of our four badass rogues. From dpsing in UBRS, to our Onyxia kill, Molten Core, to raid leading on PTR/ZG and the infamous Alcor’s Razor incident, Rootleaf quickly rose in the ranks. His calm demeanour, well planned tactics had him groomed into an officer position. And for years he would lead many historic battles.

Rootleaf was part of the best raid lead team we’ve ever had: The Root-Warf Duo. Rootleaf was the good cop. He was the nicest raid lead that got things done. As much as it sucked being yelled at by Onewarf in his southern accent that you screwed up, it was much, much worse to disappoint Rootleaf. You’d feel terrible for doing something dumb. It was like disappointing your parents. You’d never want to let Rootleaf down. And the very rare occasion Rootleaf would raise his voice and tell everyone to get their fucking act together, well that was business time. Perk up, or sit out.

Here at Death Jesters we’re a family. We don’t recruit players purely based on their skill. We want people, not just players. I’ve known him for seven years now, he’s still playing. While not raiding, he’s still contributing a ton. I remember when he got a Star Wars birthday cake. I remember when his daughter was born…and now shes 6? Now we’re playing Star Wars as well.

Rootleaf has always been one of the most selfless, humble guys we’ve ever had. Sure you can pass on loot for others, sure you can offer to rotate out, but what else? During the Black Temple era, we had a number of rogues, some that deserved the Warglaives. The one day that Rootleaf misses an Illidan kill, Warglaives drop. Many weeks later, the second half of the Warglaives drops with Rootleaf in the raid. No he says, don’t give it to me, give it to the other rogue. We urge him to reconsider, he’s more deserving of anyone else for it, don’t let us give it to this little Wertz shit. No he says again, its better for the guild. This man has character.

You can’t talk about Rootleaf without talking about the famous Rootleaf’s Gambit. But some background first: During the competitive Green Dragon era, there were a number of top raiding guilds going after world bosses. The griefing by other guilds had gotten so bad at one point that I decided to make an EQ-style treaty with most of the major guilds, BoTH, CM, AM, and a number of other horde raiding guilds. The agreement was that the first guild to have a sizeable raid force to kill the dragon and start clearing the drakes/patrols/trash on the way to the dragon, would get first shot at killing it. Da’kor and Complexity, were generally considered server assholes and wanted nothing to do with it.

Rootleaf’s Gambit: We’re in hinterlands, Ysondre? Is up, we get there first, start mass summoning people. Rival guilds show up, Da’kor, Complexity, CoA, start summoning their horde. Well we were there first, we’re going to start pulling trash. No, Rootleaf says, he has a plan. A week prior, we were in Ashenvale, started pulling the drake up the platform, when douchebag guilds x y z pull the dragon from under us. Rootleaf’s plan was to feign a pull, let them steal the dragon again. His ace was that we knew the patrolling drakes weren’t killed and would come back in a minute. They fell for it, pulled the dragon. Rootleaf calls a retreat and to watch from a safe distance so we don’t get pulled into combat. Rival guilds engage the boss, not 30 seconds later, the patrol comes from around the hill, attacks their healers, debuffs their ranged, chaos ensues. Rival guilds fall to the ground and the boss resets. We intelligently clear the patrol first, the midway drake, and proceed to cleanly kill the dragon over their dead carcasses. Glorious Battle.

When I think of master tactician, selfless leader, and guild doctor, Rootleaf deserves to be in the Death Jesters Hall of Fame.
Sparty
Guild Master

Postby Loganis » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:53 pm

"We urge him to reconsider, he’s more deserving of anyone else for it, don’t let us give it to this little Wertz shit." I just love these types of lines.
Loganis

Postby Rando » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:09 pm

Root saved my life!

Of course he denies this every time I say that, instead he insists he gave his standard "You should go see a doctor" comment.

One night I was complaining (what else is new) about some really bad stomach pains. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what was going on. I decided to log off and just try to lay down. Root took it upon himself to actually call my cell phone. He had the number from our BlizzCon meeting. He took time out and actually called me to make sure I was OK. He suggested I go to a dcotor as soon as possible.

About 5-6 hours later I was in surgery getting my appendix removed.

To this day I am so thankful for Root calling. Even if it was nothing and was just some bad food, he showed genuine concern for another guild member and made the extra effort of reaching out.
Rando
Retired

Postby Stickybunz » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:12 pm

Good thing he did not send you a Dr. bill for that too Rando. It is impressive however that not only was he able to realize and call to help you like that. It is also impressive that he was able to call breaths in sunwell on felmyst while on a dial-up connection and survive while others seemed to fail at running :)
Stickybunz
Retired

Postby Onewarf » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:25 pm

Who can forget Rootleaf story time.
Onewarf
Officer

Postby Marxman » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:04 am

Dr. Root Loops M.D.
Marxman

Postby Galvin » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:48 pm

I was in COA during those world dragon runs. So I was probably there when it happened. Not sure if it was Rayasu at the time that was the GM. But in COA we did have some jerks. I always try to be neutral to never burn bridges between guilds.
Galvin
Retired

Postby Cylawn » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:00 pm

Knew I saved this pic for years for a reason.

Cylawn
Retired

Postby Kiramaren » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:07 pm

Awesome pic!
This Avatar is approved by Moonfaxx! And brought to you by Kira ;)
Kiramaren
Contributor

Postby Onewarf » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:10 pm

Cylawn always made awesome pictures. I have had one he sent me as my pc background for years now.
Onewarf
Officer

Postby Arisia » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:59 am

I miss Cylawn! Nice pic :)
Arisia

Postby Rootleaf » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:49 am

I love that picture. Thanks Cylawn! And thanks for all of the kind words.

-Root
Rootleaf
Officer

Return to Hall of Fame